Canteens better in most kerala city colleges

DC speaks to college students about the canteens in their colleges

Kochi: The hygiene and quality of canteens in many of the city colleges are far better than those in the district outskirts. However, there is still scope for considerable improvement.

DC speaks to college students about the canteens in their colleges. “We’ve formed a canteen committee comprising students and teachers which inspect the place every month.

It was only recently that the contractor set up filters for drinking water based on the committee’s direction. On the whole, the students are satisfied with the quality and variety of food available”, said Aloysius Xavier, chairman, Sacred Heart College, Thevara.

Meanwhile, the situation is far from satisfactory in Cochin College. “There are over a1000 students in the college. However, the canteen lacks facilities. There are no tables or chairs.

All that we have are 10 stools like in bars. We’re also not satisfied with the quality of drinking water”, said a student. While St Albert’s College has set up a new canteen with priority for cleanliness, the scenario in St Teresa’s needs to improve.

“We inspected the canteen at St Teresa’s and found that there was scope for further improvement”, said Food Safety officer Jaleel.

“There are two canteens. One is common for all – both school and the college students. The other one located at the Science block provides good quality food and is kept neat and tidy”, said Mridula Madav, a student of Teresa’s.