Shashi Tharoor keeps silent on AIIMS report

Tharoor pointed out that India, as a young nation with a larger youth population

Chennai: A day after fresh reports emerged from the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, concluding that the former Union HRD minister Shashi Tharoor’s wife Sunanda Pushkar died of poisoning.

Tharoor, who was in the city in connection with a convocation function at a city college, refused to comment on her death. The Member of Parliament used a private car to drive out of the college campus even as media persons waited near his official vehicle to get his response.

Former Union HRD minister Shashi Tharoor on Friday exhorted students to think beyond established lines to work for the development of the country.

Delivering the convocation address at D.G. Vaishnav College in the city, the MP from Thiruvananthapuram said the college had provided good quality education with which students could accomplish big achievements to make India and Indians proud.

“Your (students) enthusiasm and spirit places India as the forerunner of development in fields like technology, education, social development and the greater good of humanity. You will meet new chances, take them on,” he said.

Tharoor pointed out that India, as a young nation with a larger youth population, would out beat China by 2020 when it came to a huge young work force. “By 2020 India will have 116 million youth in its work force, 25 per cent more than China,” he said.

“You should believe in yourself, you should believe in the truth. I have been on those hard roads and that was the only way I was able to cope as well.”

Later, when reporters tried to get his response about AIIMS report, he evaded giving a reply. The MP used a private car to drive out of the college campus even as media persons waited near his official vehicle to get his response.

Tharoor’s wife Sunanda, was found dead in a five star hotel in South Delhi on the night of January 17, 2014. The new report by the three-member panel of doctors from AIIMS, who had conducted the autopsy on her, maintained that she died of poisoning.