UGC to set up centres to help students

UGC will come up with 100 centres for Knowledge Upgradation for Skilled Human Action and Learning
Chennai: The University Grants Commission (UGC) will come up with 100 centres for Knowledge Upgradation for Skilled Human Action and Learning (KUSHAL) across the country which will provide job-oriented, skill-based training to help students find a job.
Speaking to Deccan Chronicle on Saturday, UGC Vice-Chairman Prof. H. Devaraj said that they would start these centres in colleges and universities with funding of Rs 1 crore per year for five years.
"The courses will create skilled manpower for industry requirements at various levels. These centres will bridge the gap between industry and academia, besides developing curriculum, content and learning materials for skill development," he said.
Pointing out that HRD minister Smriti Zubin Irani discussed the scheme at length with vice-chancellors of Central universities recently, Prof. Devaraj said that the UGC would soon come out with a detailed plan to implement it.
Citing a Nasscom study, according to which less than 20 per cent of students were employable, Prof.Santosh, professor of computer science at a private arts and science college in the city, said that the UGC should incorporate this scheme into the curriculum right from the first year as training in the final year would not yield big results.
"It is good that the UGC has come up with such an initiative, which will be taught as part of the curriculum. Private agencies currently make money by providing these courses as value addition. It's the responsibility of the college to make their students employable," K. Suresh, a second year B.Sc (computer science) student said.