Worship learning, enjoy holidays

Three days of escape from studies or is it a tradition to respect knowledge? Kids reveal their demeanor to DC

KOCHI: Students over the years have always looked forward to Durgashtami….when all their books are taken away for puja. No books, no study…it’s the time of the year for students. But irrespective of caste, creed and religious sentiments, they see in it a tradition that should be respected for the simple reason that letters and knowledge, which are at the centre of humanity’s progress, are to be worshipped during these days.

According to Akshay Anand, class XI of Global Public School, Thiruvankulam, here, the occasion is of utmost importance and has relevance beyond religion. A student of commercial art, he said he would abstain from study and art activities on those hallowed days. “I always believe I can start afresh on Vijayadasami,” he says.

Karthika R. from the same school who lives in Thiruvankulam says she observes all the rituals at home and does not even indulge in her hobbies during Mahanavami. Sana from Malappuram, a student of commercial art at the school, abstains from reading and writing though she does not follow the rituals associated with the festival.

A section of students felt that puja holidays were good for students. Sunu Jauhar, of class XII, MGM Central School, Thiruvananthapuram, said a small gap from the world of books and knowledge was refreshing. “It’s indeed an instant boost of energy to conquer our world once again,” Jauhar said.

Aleesha Hareesh, of class X of the same school, however, felt that being cut off from the world of studies even for a few days would not be quite good for them. “Knowledge is power. It should be got both from life’s experiences and studies. They should be very well aware of what happens around them. So, they should not be out of touch with learning, even if its for a few days”, Hareesh said.

Ajay S.Kumar, a first year degree student said a short holiday was welcome as it would help students rejuvenate themselves. For Krishna Sujith, class XII, from St Michael’s Girls Higher Secondary School, West Hill, Kozhikode, a learning chapter unfolds with each Vijyayadashami.

She is also delighted about Mahanavami as during other holidays, there is always the compulsion to study. Niya Jolly, class XII, of the same school said though she does not observe puja rituals, she abstains from studying on Mahanavami. “I like this practice. It’s a great tradition to worship knowledge”. Fathima Zakeer, class XII, said knowledge should always be worshipped though she does not follow the ritual.

“The day is really a relief for us as we are exempted from the burden of studies. Coming to the belief part, we actually don’t seriously consider the rituals, but do not violate what has been followed by our ancestors,” said Govind G, a student of class VIII of S.N.Public School in Kollam. “The day is important for offering worship to Goddess Saraswathy. Students from all religions collectively take part in the puja where holy books including the Gita, the Bible, and the Quran are taken in for the rituals”, said Soorya Gayathri of class X, Siddhartha Central School, Pallimon, Kollam.

Many students from other religions too keep away from studies though they do not follow the ritual of keeping the books in puja. Yet some of them use their religious mascots to keep with their books. “We celebrate Navarathri to seek the blessings of Goddess Saraswathy who presides over knowledge and learning”, says Saraswathy Varma, class VIII student of Maria Montessori Central School, Ambalappuzha, Alappuzha.

For Praveen, another student of the same school, Navarathri is an opportunity to surrender oneself at the feet of Goddess Saraswathy. To S.Manav, a class VIII student of Bright Land Discovery English Medium School, it’s a moment of devotion as well as relaxation.

According to G. Devan, principal of Saraswathy Vidyanikethan, Elamakkara, Kochi, the ritual is followed for 10 days including Vijayadasami after Navarathri, in other parts of the country and it celebrates the importance of knowledge and the triumph of virtue over vice. “Vijayadasami is the perfect day for any new initiative and art and knowledge have special prominence in the festival,” he said.

(With inputs from Sabloo Thomas, T.Sudheesh and Sham Muhammed).