University of Hyderabad green signal

The students of UOH, like PM Modi, are working towards a Swachh Bharat
Hyderabad: After successfully completing the Rice Bucket Challenge last month, students of SMS (School of Management Studies) at University of Hyderabad (UoH) were more than happy as they had done their bit for the society. But their professor, V. Venkata Ramana, wasn’t. Prof. Venkata wanted the students to go green in their ways, and make it an ongoing effort.
And after weeks of discussions and brainstorming, the Green Bucket campaign, an initiative ‘to sensitise and inculcate a sense of responsibility towards environmental ownership’, was born. “Prof Venkata wanted us (students) to take things to the next level and that’s exactly what we ended up achieving this Sunday,” says P.V.L. Pavani, a second year MBA student.
While the students had donated 50 kgs of rice to two people of their maintenance staff during the Rice Bucket Challenge, for the Green Bucket campaign, the students planted 200 saplings and also cleaned the SMS campus area this Sunday.
“With the Green Bucket campaign, we are trying to motivate the public to get involved by organising awareness events. We also plan on maintaining the 200 saplings that we have planted,” says Pavani, who adds that nearly 150 students from the department took part in this event.
The students admit it was a great learning experience. “We are MBA students; so it’s all about marketing for us and we don’t come across a charitable initiative like this often,” says Tanushri Banerjee, a second-year student, adding, “On October 2, we have a team from the sanitation department coming to the campus for further cleaning,” she concludes.