Telangana to get stricter with ration cards

State is considering students as mobility units and will issue smart cards to them
Adilabad: The Telangana state government is likely to synchronise data relating to the ration cards with that of the Aadhaar cards issued to inmates of various social welfare hostels to avoid double ration supply as the students are already availing of free meals in the hostels.The state government took the decision to synchronise the data after finding that many families have entered the names of their children, who were actually staying in the hostels, in the ration cards.
The government is supplying Rs1-a-kg rice to the government hostels in the state and is feeling burdened. The synchronisation, it hopes, would help cut down quanity of the rice and essentials to the fair price shop dealers. Further, the state is considering students as mobility units and is of the opinion to issue smart cards to all of them studying in schools and colleges.
District supply officer Vasanthrao Deshpande said modalities are being worked out at the state-level to issue smart cards to students.
Above 70,000 students are studying in hostels under Integrated Tribal Development Agency (ITDA), Utnoor while 30,000 are studying in other SC and BC welfare hostels in Adilabad district.
Already, Aadhaar cards were issued to the students studying in the hostels and these Aadhaar cards will be synchronised with the ration cards to avoid duplication. The state government is planning to hike the quantity of rice ration being supplied to BPL families.
In view of the extra burden on the exchequer, the state government even went for a comprehensive household survey in the recent past to weed out bogus ration cards and other ineligible beneficiaries of various welfare schemes and development programmes.
The state government has promised that it would begin implementing all the schemes after Dasara festival.