BJP demands judicial inquiry into Jadavpur University imbroglio and police action

‘An independent investigation should be held by a retired high court judge’

Kolkata: BJP national spokesperson Meenakshi Lekhi on Sunday called for an independent judicial inquiry or an enquiry by the National Commission for Women into the Jadavpur University imbroglio and police action, which has led to a wave of protests.

"An independent investigation should be held by a retired high court judge, better if it is a woman judge, or a retired sessions judge," Lekhi told newspersons here. "NCW can also hold an inquiry into the incident and definitely the role of the police on the fateful night has to be investigated as girls were beaten up and they were subjected to bad behaviour," Lekhi said.

She also said that the Trinamool Congress government had no right to stay in power if it cannot protect students. "The government has not taken any action against the vice-chancellor and has instead been supporting him.

"The government should protect students as parents do for their children, instead it has taken brutal action against them. I don't think this government has any right to remain in power," the BJP MP said. Lekhi said that she would write to the NCW for an independent inquiry into the whole issue.

She said that the university administration should have initiated an inquiry into the allegation of molestation of the student to get to the root of the matter, but has tried to hush up the serious allegation.

"The accused youths should have been suspended pending enquiry and if they were found guilty, the matter should have been forwarded for criminal action," she said.

"Instead they tried to push it under the carpet leading to agitation by students followed by strike. The authorities also initiated police action against the agitating students and beat them up in the middle of the night after switching the lights off. This is victimisation of the victim," Lekhi said.

Any inquiry monitored by the vice-chancellor is not likely to be fruitful as there would be a question of bias.

"As such an independent inquiry should be held on the charge of molestation, mismanagement by the university authorities and the police action," she said.

( Source : PTI )