IT companies pick up more students this year

Firms have migrated from traditional written test to a contest based pattern
Chennai: Reflecting the nation’s economic turnaround, several top private engineering colleges and deemed universities in the state have placed a large number of students in top IT companies within a month of commencement of placement this year.
City-based Rajalakshmi Engineering College has placed 618 students this year in the first slot of placement in TCS, Wipro and L&T, against 300-odd last year. Similarly, St Joseph’s college of engineering had three IT majors offering 552 offers in the first slot. Mr I. Philip Praveen, director (training and placement) at Rajalakshmi Engineering College says that even though there was no major change in entry level salaries this year,
more product-based companies like Commvault, Zoho, Trimble, visited campuses to hire students with high competency in programming to work in niche areas.
Pointing out that companies had migrated from the traditional pen-paper-based written test to a contest-based hiring pattern, Mr Praveen said Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) and Unisys recruit students with Code Vita, that lets a student showcase his skills against contestants around the globe.
Mr B. Babu Manoharan, managing director, St Joseph’s group of institutions, said compared to last year, IT companies hired 20 per cent more students as there was greater demand for engineers in IT firms.
Pointing out that
companies do not want to compromise on quality for quantity, Prof K.K. Sivagnana Prabhu, head (training and corporate affairs), RMK engineering college, said companies prefer to recruit students from colleges in tier-1 and tier-2 cities as they feel that these colleges teach quality education.
VIT University vice-president Sekar Viswanathan adds that their university witnessed more analytics-related companies recruiting students with a pay packet of Rs 5 lakh per year. Dream companies, eBay, DeShaw and Flipkart, shared slot-one and recruited 15 students with a salary of over Rs 15 lakh per annum.