Jadavpur University website 'hacked', claims varsity Registrar

An apology attributed to the VC was posted on the site, which official sources denied

Kolkata: With Jadavpur University students demanding the Vice Chancellor's resignation over a molestation case, an apology message attributed to the VC was posted on Saturday on the varsity website, which official sources denied claiming the website has been hacked.

"I am sorry" - was the message posted on the website in VC Abhijit Chakrabarti's page.

Registrar Pradip Ghosh clarified that he had spoken to the VC and the latter had not said anything of that sort.

"We have not done that. I have spoken to the VC who said he has not posted anything. The website is hacked. We will look into the matter," Ghosh said.

Despite repeated attempts to get his comments, the VC remained incommunicado as his cell phone was switched off.

JU students have been boycotting classes demanding the VC's resignation over the ongoing stalemate in the August 28 molestation case in campus following a police crackdown on agitating students.

The agitating students have held the VC responsible for police action against them on campus in the wee hours of September 17 when they had gheraoed the VC, Registrar and other officials seeking a fresh probe panel into a molestation case.

( Source : PTI )