Bio-Andhra meet to press for patent rights

Kakinada is highlighting innovative ideas of students and young entrepreneurs

Kakinada: Bio-Andhra, the first international conference on marine and Agricultural Biotechnology to be held from Oct. 16 to 18 at Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Kakinada is highlighting innovative ideas of students and young entrepreneurs on the theme of ‘Grow Idea’. It will make efforts to bring patent rights to them.

When the Centre for Entrepreneurship Development wing of JNTUK invited students for deliberating innovative ideas as many as 24 students and faculty members showed their innovative ideas and eight students were selected for patent rights.

JNTUK Vice-chancellor Dr. G.Tulasi Ram Das said that the students have talent and the bio-conference meet would give them an opportunity in implementation. He said that if they come forward with innovative ideas, they can get patent rights and also secure royalty for generations together. He said that many of the students are coming forward to reveal their ideas and submit to the University.

An M.Tech student of JNTUK T. Muralkrishna proposed introducing Nano-bio fertilizers in the agriculture sector for speedy growth of plants. Another M.Tech student Binayak Raj Pandey proposed researching isolation of cellulolytic bacteria and design of down streaming process to make cellulosic ethanol for commercialization. An assistant professor of Biotechnology in JNTUK, Ramesh Malothu is making efforts to get patent rights on L-Lysine economically. P. Uma Sankar and Anil Kumar are working on different methods in production of cellulose. Nano-Biofertilizer plays a key role in maintaining soil quality and reduce the problems of land degradation, rapid growth in crop yield, make it eco friendly and reduce the indiscriminate use of pesticides and chemical fertilizers.

New biotech policy to be launched

New Biotech Policy to be unveiled by the Andhra Pradesh government in First International conference on Marine and Agricultural Bio-technology in the name ofBIO-Andhra-2014, organizing by Goda-vari Knowledge Park in association with JNTUK from October 16 to 18.

JNTUK vice-chancellor G.Tulasi Ram Das told the media today that the chief minister Chandrababu Naidu and the Union HRD Smriti Irani will participate in the inauguration function to unveil its Life Sciences and Biotech Policy for the new government. Union Minister Nirm-ala Seetharaman will attend in valedictory day of the conference. About 1,000 scientists and experts in marine, agriculture and biotechnology fields will attend .