Ujjain vice chancellor attacked for appeal to help flood-hit in J&K

Jawahar Lal Kaul has been targeted by activists, allegedly of the VHP, Bajrang Dal

Ujjain: The Vice Chancellor of a university in Ujjain has been targeted by activists, allegedly of the Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) and Bajrang Dal, who ransacked his office on Monday.

Jawahar Lal Kaul, the vice chancellor of Vikram University, had appealed to his students to help those affected by the floods in Jammu and Kashmir. Shortly afterwards; an angry mob entered the university campus and damaged furniture, computers and then finally entered the office of the Chancellor and had a heated argument with him. Mr Kaul complained of chest pain and was rushed to hospital.

These workers were angry that Chancellor Kaul had appealed to his students to help those affected by the floods in Jammu and Kashmir.

Later, based on a complaint by the university staff, a case was registered against unidentified people under relevant sections of the Indian Penal Code and also for obstructing an official from carry out his official duties.

No arrests have been made so far in this regard, Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Vijay Kumar Dawar said, adding that action would be taken against those responsible for the incident, by watching video footage.

Eight years ago, Professor H S Sabharwal died of cardiac arrest in Ujjain after he was allegedly manhandled by Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) workers.
However, the court acquitted all those who were arrested by the police in connection with the incident.

( Source : PTI )