PhD researchers run into problems

These scholars have not been awarded PhD degrees so far

Hyderabad: Nearly a 1,000 teachers and students from both Telangana and Andhra Pradesh, who had been pursuing PhD at the Dravidian University have been left in the lurch as their doctoral theses have not been released to them even after half a decade. They have not been awarded degrees either.

The Kuppam-based Dravidian University had admitted thousands of PhD students in 2006 and 2007 in the distance mode against UGC guidelines. About 8,000 PhD scholars were taken in different disciplines though they were not available on campus. Subsequently, a two-member inquiry committee was formed to look into the issue. The committee suggested that the degrees be declared void. The issue has also gone to court and is still pending. When asked, university officials say that they would release the theses and refund fees only if there is a direction from court.

However, with more than half a decade passing many teachers are clueless. M. Madhavi, the in-charge principal of Aurora PG College said, “The problem is that we don’t have a clue of what is going on. I have been promoted as principal but will remain in-charge until I get my degree. They are not even releasing my thesis. I have spent around a lakh on the issue but there is no result.”

“Our PhD theses are with the university. We have also paid the fees for examination,” Balashowry Reddy, one of the scholars said. Student delegations also met AP Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu recently asking him to look into the issue but no action has been taken.