E-learning in the offing

Students, teachers to be provided iPads, tabs

Rajahmundry: Even as the Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu proposes to make teachers and students tech-savvy by providing them gadgets like tablets and iPads to help them learn online besides assuring to set up wi-fi at public places to help them learn even while on the go, West Godavari administration takes the lead to set up digital class rooms in the primary schools on a pilot project to teach lessons as per the curriculum.

West Godavari collector K. Bhaskar has come up with a proposal to install large computer or TV monitors with Android operating system, touch screen monitor and a key board in the class rooms. At a meeting held here on Saturday to discuss the project, he asked the district education officer and Rajiv Vidya Mission (RVM) project officer to find out sources to develop software content.Teachers who are tech-savvy and the professionals involved developing software content and animation will be roped in to prepare the content. Initially, the content will be developed for all subjects in primary sections.

Official sources say that the objective of taking up the project was to help the students avail audio-visual aids while learning lessons. Sources say that the e-learning will be launched initially at a few primary schools at Eluru as a pilot project and based on the feedback from both the teachers and students it will be implemented in other schools in a phased manner in the district. Education experts say that teaching with the help of audio-visual aids will help students learn the subjects quickly and will have a strong impact on their life unlike the regular practice of a section of students learning lessons by heart with an eye to score marks in the examinations.