Tamil Nadu students suffer complacency factor

65 cracked JEE whereas last year only 31 of 1,490 had passed the test
Chennai: The Tamil Nadu government's initiatives in the school education sector have yielded positive results this year as more students from the Tamil Nadu state board stream have cracked the JEE (advanced) even as 152 more aspirants from the state cleared the prestigious test than last year.
Of the 1,421 Tamil Nadu state board students who registered to take up JEE (advanced) this year, 65 cracked the exam whereas last year only 31 of 1,490 had passed the test.
More Tamil Nadu students may have passed the test. Even so, the state is still far behind states like Andhra Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Jharkhand and Haryana. The number of students who passed the test from TN is 602 of 3,216.
An analysis of JEE (advanced) results by Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur has also revealed that 1,795 CBSE students from Tamil Nadu wrote the entrance test and 537 passed.
Among 1,26,995 registered IIT aspirants 27,152 passed the test across the country. As in the past students from Andhra Pradesh dominated JEE (advanced) with 4,975 successful candidates, followed by Rajasthan (4,292), Uttar Pradesh (3,314) and Maharashtra (2,313).
Asked why Tamil Nadu students don't fare well in JEE (advanced) to get into the IIT system, Prof S. Vaidhyasubramaniam, dean (planning & development), Sastra University, said that Tamil Nadu missed the ecosystem to nurture competitive spirit through entrance exams, thanks to an expert committee that abolished CET in Tamil Nadu.
“The rote based learning and evaluation that has given more than required importance to Plus Two marks has weakened conceptual clarity, which is the biggest input for JEE exams, among students. In the interest of student quality, there should be a good balance between Plus Two ma-rks and entrance exams like JEE or a state administered CET,” he said.
He pointed out that that the Tamil Nadu engineering colleges had more than one lakh seats vacant, which leads to a factor of complacency amongst students, who no longer feel the intellectual pressure to compete through entrance exams.
An IIT professor who did not wish to be named said that year on year Tamil Nadu's case remains the same with less number of coaching centres that could shape state board students into entering IITs.
“Tamil Nadu students also have several good options in the state and so they are looking at some of the top engineering colleges like Anna University's College of Engineering, Guindy,” the faculty said.
Pointing out that several students from CBSE had migrated to the state board system, eminent academician and career counsellor Jayaprakash A.Gandhi said that Tamil Nadu school education system inculcates rote learning.