2,600 students step into 19 government medical colleges

In the first and second phase of counselling, 2,555 seats were filled
Chennai: The academic year for MBBS/BDS courses commenced on Monday, with more than 2,600 students attending 19 government medical colleges across the state. In the first and second phase of counselling, a total of 2,555 seats were filled and 100 seats in government dental colleges.
Director of Medical education Dr S. Geethalakshmi welcomed the first year students and advised them to study hard. She told students that they had got an opportunity to serve the community. “You should study well and make your parents proud of you,” said the director.
Sources from the Directorate of Medical Education said that strict action would be taken against seniors if they ragged the first year students.
“A team has been formed that will monitor whether any ragging takes place in the colleges and it would submit reports to the respective deans every day,” said the sources, adding that those students who indulged in ragging would be warned, and if necessary, a police complaint would be filed and strict action taken against them. The deans of various government colleges spoke to the students. A dean from a government medical college said that jeans and t-shirts would not be allowed inside the campus.
Accompanied by more than 10 relatives, including his 80-year-old grandmother S. Jaswanth from Polur in Tiruvannamalai district said that he was the first one in the family to step into a medical college, Madras Medical College. Sekhar, his father, a teacher, said, “Jaswanth’s two aunts, uncles, brothers and sisters accompanied him to see his first day in the reputed college.”