12,000 engineering seats vacant in Telangana

Both AP, Telangana see poor demand for engineering
Hyderabad: As many as 53,996 engineering seats in Andhra Pradesh and 12,447 seats in Telangana remained vacant after the announcement of first phase of seat allotment in Eamcet counselling on Saturday, reflecting the poor demand for engineering courses in both the states.
Despite the Telangana government cancelling approvals of over 170 engineering colleges, which failed to meet norms on faculty and infrastructure facilities, resulting in deletion of nearly one lakh seats, it failed to fill up all seats in Telangana colleges. Of the 1,16,913 seats on offer in AP in 326 colleges, only 62,917 were filled while out of 65,157 seats in 149 colleges in TS, 52,709 were filled.
While 2.03 lakh students qualified in Eamcet engineering this year in both the states put together, only 1.20 lakh opted for counselling. The confrontation between AP and TS governments over fee reimbursement, which led to both the states approaching the Supreme Court, has created apprehensions among students whether common admissions would be held or not this year, resulting in large-scale exodus of students to neighbouring states.
Students have to download the allotment order and challan for fee-payment and report at the nearest helpline centres from September 1 to September 5 for fee payment. They will have to report at the allotted college by September 6. If dissatisfied, candidates can participate in next phase of counselling.
Candidates are advised to submit their original certificates, receipt of certificate, fee payment challan only in the college after final phase of allotment. The college managements have been directed not to collect any fee from the candidates till the final allotments.
Technical snag delays med counselling by an hour
Counselling for admissions into MBBS and BDS seats across Telangana state and Andhra Pradesh started peacefully, but with one-hour delay due to technical snags on Saturday.
In Vijayawada, the counselling session took off at the Dr NTR University of Health Sciences. Among the candidates who attended the counselling was fourth ranker D. Haritha of Guntur. She chose to pursue MBBS in the Guntur Medical College. Ms Haritha said that she opted the GMC, as it is located in her hometown and also to avoid nativity-related problems.