Kerala Health Minister responds to pleas of children

Health department to take immediate steps
ALAPPUZHA: Students of A B Vilasam HSS, Muhamma here who had sent as many as 1,800 letters on August 5 demanding 24X7 doctor's service at the only community health centre in the area have got a reply from the Health Minister V S Sivakumar’s office on Monday. Deccan Chronicle had reported the ‘letter protest’ of the students on August 8.
V Seema, a teacher of the school who had initiated the move, said that the minister had responded to the children saying that the director of the Health Department was ordered to report back after taking urgent steps on the complaint.
“We do hope there will be a solution to our cause as the minister himself has got involved in the issue. It’s in fact a relief coming as it does from him. The school students and local people had met authorities several times in this regard but they were oblivious to our demand. But we have not been contacted by the health department so far”, she said.
Anjana, a class VII student, says they were extremely happy as the minister himself had come forward and responded to their demand. “We are hoping Muhamma will get a community health centre which will be operational round the clock soon. We will follow up the matter until our demand is met. Our parents and teachers are very supportive because Muhamma, which is largely inhabited by common people, is prone to communicable diseases”, she says.
Dhanraj Rajan, a local resident, says several people in the area died without proper medical care as the centre remained closed at night without any notice for over six months. By shutting it, the authorities actually violate the order of the Human Rights Commission which had directed the authorities not to close the centre at night thereby denying locals access to medical care.
The Kerala Government Medical Officers Association’s (KGMOA) claims that anti-social elements had regularly been creating a ruckus on the hospital premises. “This is the only local health centre for people of at least three panchayths - Kanjikuzhy, Muhamma and Mannacherry. As of now, the people have to go to the Medical college hospital which is located about 30 kms from here”, the KGMOA source says.