Dream big, says Ex President Abdul Kalam

St Mary’s Anglo Indian school celebrates its 175th anniversary
Chennai: For an hour on Thursday, the Kamarajar Arangam on Anna Salai turned into a school classroom. The teacher was none other than APJ Abdul Kalam and the students included several Salesian fathers, senior teachers and students of the St Mary’s Anglo Indian school.
Kalam, who was the chief guest for the 175th year celebration of the school, interacted with the audience by teaching them ‘equations’ for a successful life. He ensured that everyone in the hall repeated his words and raised queries and awarded marks for those who answered correctly.
Like a strict teacher who would ask students to keep quiet, Kalam chided a few who were talking among themselves. Telling students that to aim small is a crime, Kalam said, “Be the captain of your problems and never allow the problems to be your captain. Tell your subconscious mind to achieve your goal. And always keep a distance from people who would tell you that you wouldn’t be able to achieve your goals. Dream big.”
Kalam asked students whether they would like to learn an equation to be successful in life. When the kids roared and clapped hands to signal in the affirmative, he said, “Knowledge is a summation of creativity, righteous in heart and courage. Repeat with me in a loud voice.”
Asking them to make a mental note he said, “When you look at the bulb, you remember Thomas Alva Edison, for an aeroplane you remember the Wright Brothers and for the telephone you remember Alexander Graham Bell. You ask yourself what will you be remembered for.”
Earlier, Fr Gregory Devarajan, school principal, recalled when the school was founded. “The school was started in 1839 to educate the Catholic youth in the Madras Presidency.
Our school is one of the oldest in India and was started during the Briti sh era. A postal stamp was recently released to commemorate the 175th year of our school. We follow the guidelines laid down by Don Bosco and teach our students for their integral development,” he said.