Student police project in crisis

With no funds school authorities are trying to raise money from students
KOZHIKODE: Though the State on August 2, successfully completed four years of the Student Police Cadet initiative, the project is heading into a severe financial crisis. With no funds set apart for its smooth functioning, schools are now trying to raise the money from students to run the project which requires a substantial amount. Though the Government has not thought of funding the project, it is quite happy to introduce the project in more schools.
The SPC initiated during 2010 was started as a school-based youth development programme which trains high school students to evolve into responsible leaders who will respect law and discipline, have civic sense and show empathy for the less fortunate in society. The project has around 30,000 students in the State from around 350 Government-aided and unaided schools.
Most of the schools are now turning to their respective PTAs to chip in with the necessary funds. Even the Government is asking schools to pay up Rs 5 lakh if they so desire to have the project in their institutions.
“The Education Department had in the last four years allotted Rs 2 lakh to each school in the State which had undertaken the SPC project”, said Additional State Nodal Officer U.Abdul Karim, who is also an SP. But from this year on, due to the glut of applications, the Government is not in a position to fund new schools and hence has decided to incorporate only those schools which are ready to take over the project at their expense.
“Around 1,500 schools have already asked for the project, but to fund them all would not be possible. A total of 88 students from each school - 44 each from class eight and class nine, are eligible for the project. But to fund additional schools along with the stitching charge for uniforms that would come to around 75,000 for each school, in addition to camp and food expenses, would not be possible”, he added.
Education Minister P.K.Abdu Rabb said: “The Government is now not in a position to fund such a huge expense, but those schools that have already registered under SPC will get the amount. If the financial status improves, we will provide funds for the initiative as SPC is among those projects we would like to continue for a long time due to its overwhelming response, he added.
Commenting on the new policy, Sr Preethi of St Michael’s School said: “We were about the start the initiative in our school. But since we have not been offered the required funds, there is no meaning in taking it up as we have students coming in from very poor backgrounds who will never be able to afford the expense”.