Kurnool, Kadapa see stir for Andhra Pradesh capital

Tense situation prevailed for some time as the officials and police tried to send the agitators back

KADAPA/Kurnool: Students of Rayalaseema Students Federation went on a rampage at the conference hall in the collectorate on Monday, staging protest against Sivaramakrishnan Committee.

Tense situation prevailed for some time as the officials and police tried to send the agitators back, who planned to resist the meeting of the capital committee. It came to collect opinions on the capital of AP.

Soon after the committee members arrived at the seminar hall, the students started shouting ‘go back’ slogan. They said there is no need of an expert committee to study on the capital, as it should be established in Rayalaseema region only. Some students leaders were arrested.

While Kadapa was seething in protests, Kurnool saw Lakha Polikeka, a massive dharna led by Rayalaseema Rajadhana Sadhana Samithi with Guntur Hatao Kurnool Bachao slogans. The rally was taken out from the Telugu Talli statue towards district collectorate’s office in Kurnool.

Students, women joined the rally demanding justice for drought-hit Rayalaseema region.

Kurnool YSRC MP Bhutta Renuka said there was no need to purchase private lands for establishing capital as plenty of land was available in Kurnool.