Tragedy strikes Chennai schoolgirl on bike

Few obey education dept ban on school students riding 2-wheeler
Chennai: A 15-year-old Class 10 student riding pillion with her elder brother was killed in front of his eyes. The bike was being ridden without a licence by the Class 12 student when the moped got knocked down by a tipper lorry near Tambaram on Friday morning.
The boy who was riding without a helmet escaped with minor injuries. The siblings, dressed in their school uniforms, were on their way home from tuition class when the fateful mishap took place. Just a few weeks ago, the school education department had banned students riding bikes to schools.
Police said that the deceased, C.Manjula and her elder brother C.Ajith, both studying in the Madras Seva Sadan school in Tambaram are residents of Ambedkar Pudhu Nagar in Perungalathur. Their father Chinnasamy is a construction scrap dealer and mother Selvi a housewife, police said.
Every morning, the duo used to go for tuition at a private center at Kasturibai Nagar in Tambaram before going to school, investigations revealed. On Friday too, around 8 am, they were returning home after their tuition class in their moped (TVS champ) along the Naduveerapattu road when a speeding tipper truck trailing them knocked the two-wheeler. The truck was coming from the Mudichur road towards the quarry in Thiruneermalai, police said.
The duo was thrown to the ground and on impact the girl suffered grievous injuries. However, the driver of the truck didn’t bother to stop the vehicle and drove it a good 100 metres more before abandoning the vehicle and fled the scene, police quoted eyewitnesses as saying.