First year student ragged, injured

6 students grabbed Rs 1,800 from him and told him to prostrate if he wanted money

Tiruvarur: A first year student of a private polytechnic college near Mannargudi sustained grievous injuries when he was attacked by a group of six students in a ragging episode.

R Jagan (22), resident of Anna Nagar in Thanjavur, who was earlier in a diploma course at a polytechnic in Thanjavur and could not clear the papers, joined ARJ Polytechnic College at Edayarnatham village near Mannargudi this year. Jagan also worked for a courier company, police said.

On Monday, the first day of the course, three students in the class, namely Aravindkumar, Manikandan and Venkatesan, who were repeating the first year for the second consecutive year for lack of attendance, reportedly asked Jagan to address them as ‘Annan’ (elder brother) to which he acquiesced.

On Tuesday, the three students, along with three others, Abinesh, Ramkumar and Rajamanikandan, asked Jagan to prostrate at their feet. When he refused, the gang abused him. In the evening, when he was waiting for a bus outside the college, the six students grabbed Rs 1,800 from him and told him to prostrate if he wanted the money back. An altercation ensued whereupon they attacked him with logs of wood, the police said. Jagan suffered a ligament fracture in both the hands and was badly bruised on the back and was admitted to the government hospital in Mannargudi.