UPSC row: Intelligence Bureau alert on language frenzy

UPSC agitation has potential to flare up in North and South
New Delhi: Intelligence agencies have cautioned the Centre that the ongoing agitation against the Civil Services Aptitude Test could lead to major “language and regional frenzy”, particularly in parts of North and South India, and the government should try contain the protests as soon as possible.
They warned that this agitation has the potential to spread fast to different areas, chiefly where Hindi and regional languages are dominant. Splinter groups like student bodies may try to take advantage and intensify the stir further, they said. They advised the government to keep the students engaged in a dialogue.
The agencies have advised the Centre that it should try and resolve the issue as early as possible and keep the agitating students engaged in a dialogue. Sources said the government is already seized of the damage that this agitation can lead too. It was precisely for this reason that the government worked overtime holding discussions at the highest level and came out with a formula which was spelt out by the minister of state for personnel Jitendra Singh in Parliament on Monday.
The agitating students however, rejected the government’s formula and are still continuing with their agitation. Sources said intelligence agencies have expressed apprehension that the agitation could spread further with more students jumping into the fray.
The government had proposed that English marks in CSAT-II will not be included for gradation or merit and candidates who appeared in the 2011 civil services exams may get a second chance to appear for the exam next year.