Medical students in Telangana risk losing year

Medical students would have to return after the course and complete rural service

Hyderabad: Post graduate medical students say they stand the risk of losing an academic year due to the undue delay in conduct of counselling for rural service. The government had decided to conduct counselling for rural service for post graduate medical students so as to avoid issues in allotment. However, no notification has been issued yet and, students say, if rural service period begins in September or October this year, they stand to lose the academic year, 2015-16, as well.

Officials say the delay is because of the state bifurcation. It is mandatory for PG medical students to complete one year of rural service. As reported earlier, the High Court had allowed students to pursue super-speciality courses in colleges like Nizam’s Institute of Medical Sciences, Sri Venkateswara Institute of Medical Sciences or any national institute. However, they would have to return after the course and complete rural service.

Even for students who want to complete rural service right away, the government has not issued any notification or intimation so far. “They are yet to give notification for rural service. Conducting counselling and allotment, post notification being issued needs time,” a member of the AP Junior Doctors Association said. He added, “By the time we begin rural service, even if it is September or October, we will end at the same time next year in 2015 which is the middle of an academic year. So, we could lose the next academic year also. We will have to wait till 2016 to write the entrance exams for super speciality courses.”

Entrance exams to most reputed colleges are completed by June or July and sessions begin latest by August. Stating that the notification would be issued soon, Dr P. Srinivas, Telangana Director of Medical Education (DME), said, “It has only been two months since the bifurcation and there is lot of work. The finance department has to finalise the issues. We are giving stipends and financial allowances also. So it will take time.”