Security measures thrown under the bus

Police wants GPS, CCTV cameras compulsory in all vehicles carrying students to schools

Bengaluru: At present, 15,000 private school vans operated independently by drivers across the city are caught the between the devil and the deep blue sea.

Confusion over the mandatory security measures suggested by the Department of Public Instruction (DPI) and city police have sent them mixed signals. Now they want the city police to clarify the new rules on school vans.

According to the first order issued by the DPI, speed governor, as well as separate student attendant, first aid equipment and fire extinguishers are mandatory for the school van. A new order issued by the city police wants schools to make GPS, CCTV cameras compulsory in all vehicles that take students to schools. Police also want private schools to sign a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the private service providers to ensure that they will stick to the new guidelines. Police have warned of strict action against erring schools and van drivers. But these orders are now sending confusing signals to the parents, schools and van drivers. They want the government to clear the air.

According to all the stake holders, most of the conditions put forth by the city police are unrealistic and may end up with parents having to cough up more.

Speaking to this newspaper, Mr. Rajesh G Gowda, who is operating a school van, said that all these conditions are imposed unilaterally. “The transport department has put a cap on the number of students which can be ferried in the vans. As per the transport department order we must have transparent glasses in the vans. Still we were targeted,” he said.

“Presently, we are providing affordable services. These new conditions will affect everyone. If these conditions are imposed on us we will go on strike,” he warned.

According to the school van drivers, installation of the new devices like CCTV, GPS etc will have an impact on the service cost.

“We are providing affordable services to parents. If we were also asked to opt for these new modern devices, definitely, parents will suffer,” said another van driver, this one from Malleswaram.

Mandatory MoU

This is another clause that has irked the service providers. According to the drivers, elite schools have already banned the services of private vans and if an MoU is made compulsory between schools and van drivers, it will have greater impact. “Schools generally oppose private service providers, assuming that we are eating into their income. Schools are making a hefty profit in the name of school transport. In such a scenario, if an MoU is made compulsory we are left with no option but to withdraw our services,” says Mr. Manjunath Rao, a school bus owner.

New guidelines issued by police and DPI

• Schools have to compulsorily install GPS and CCTV cameras in all school buses.
  • CCTV on school premises.
  • School vans should be painted yellow.
  • Speed governor is needed for all the school vehicles.
  • Parents should travel in school bus/vans regularly to ensure that safety measures are implemented.
  • Attendant is a must to take care of the children.