Fasting, praying and barely sleeping

Students don’t mind giving up their recreational activities during Ramzan
Hyderabad: Making youngsters give up on TV, movies, partying or even going online etc can very well be a signal to start a quarrel. But there are some of them from the city who are doing all of this willingly. The Holy month of Ramzan is one that even the youngsters wait for eagerly, despite the many sacrifices they have to make.
“Many of my friends give up smoking, we don’t go partying or for any movies either,” says Syed Zeeshan Hassan, a graduate from CMR College of Engineering and Technology. “We also believe in helping the poor by giving them money.”
“Charity during Ramzan is helping the poor in whatever capacity we can, but mainly comprises giving money. My friends and I usually arrange the food for breaking fast for the poor, or we supply rations to the underprivileged. For someone else, it might look like a lot of work, but it’s not, it’s actually very fulfilling,” he adds.
To help non-Muslims understand, the students of Lakhotia Institute of Design took up an initiative wherein around 70 students came together to host an Iftar party for their classmates recently. “Not many of our friends, belonging to different religions, knew what an Iftar party was. So we decided to host one for them. Apart from the students, the entire faculty and staff were also present,” says Zainab Hussain.
The students admit that the real challenge is balancing college and their never-ending assignments.
“Apart from the prayers, I get up for the early morning meal, around 3.30 am. After returning from college, I help my mother prepare Iftar, and perform special prayers, Taraweeh, by staying up during nights. I hardly find time for college work. I sleep only up to two hours at night and then manage to keep awake during college,” says Sumayya Shafiuddin of St Ann’s College for Women.