Students want police cases withdrawn

Many students are still facing serious cases such as attempt to murder etc: OUJAC leader

Hyderabad: Students, who had taken part in the pro-Telangana agitations and are facing hundreds of police cases, want the government to take up recruitment drives only after all the cases against them are withdrawn.

The OUJAC and TSJAC students say they are not in a position to concentrate on studies as they need to report to the police stations and courts regularly for the cases. They are upset with the TRS government for not initiating measures to withdraw cases even after coming to power more than a month ago.

“There is a general perception that the cases registered against students were dropped by the previous Congress government. But that is not true. They only dropped petty cases such as holding rallies without police permission, pelting stones etc. Many students are still facing serious cases such as attempt to murder etc. Over 100 students are still reporting to the courts over cases pending against them,” said OUJAC leader Pidamar-thi Ravi.

Mr Ravi, along with few other OUJAC students, also met Telangana home minister Nayani Narasimha Reddy last week and brought to his notice the plight of students who are facing police cases. Apart from losing out on job opportunities, they cannot apply for jobs abroad due to lack of passport as the police department refuses to issue verification certificates.

“With the TRS forming the first government in Telangana state, students had high expectations over being let off immediately. But that has not happened so far. Students were expecting the government to make an announcement to this effect in the first session of Telangana Assembly last month. But that too did not happen. This has left many students worried about their future,” he said.

They demanded that the government take up the issue in the coming Budget Session of the Assembly. “If recruitment drives are held without lifting the cases, how can students concentrate on their studies? The recruitment exams should not be held till such time the cases against them are cleared,” Mr Ravi said.