Drinking in public places continues in Hyderabad

Shops sell liquor after deadline; Cops turn a blind eye

Hyderabad: The excise policies do not allow consumption of alcohol outside the liquor outlets in public spaces, but drinking in public places and right in front of liquor shops continues.
Moreover, none of the 220 liquor shops in the twin cities were found to be sticking to the deadline of 10 pm. Most shops were found open till 11 pm, while those on the outskirts are said to be selling liquor till 1 am.

“Many of the customers park their vehicles right in front of the wine shop and place the liquor on their vehicles and drink on the road. This is at the entrance to our residential colony. Women and girls avoid that route and use the longer route” said Dharam Singh, a resident of Bank Colony, Suchitra crossroads.

Dr Prerna, a resident of Nallakunta Market, said, “Surprisingly, the cops just pass by the liquor shops, where a bunch of people are seen drinking, without doing anything. At any given time, the space in front of Aishwarya Wine shop, right in the middle of Nallakunta Market, is full of people drinking and causing a traffic jam”.

The nuisance of the alcoholics is not just a “nocturnal” problem. Even during the day, they are seen openly standing on the roads and causing nuisance, while women hesitate to pass by these areas.

M.M.A. Farooqui, deputy commissioner, excise, Hyderabad, said “Yes, drinking outside the liquor shops is not allowed. The permit room system says, that consumers can buy liquor at the shops. But they can consume only in the permitted spaces. We will soon conduct raids soon”.

Justice A. Laxman Rao of Madhya Niyantrana Udyama Committee said maximum accidents and attacks on women are due to alcohol consumption. The nuisance of the alcoholics is not just a “nocturnal” problem. Even during the day, they are seen openly standing on the roads and causing nuisance. Girl students and women hesitate to pass by these areas. But often they have no option as these liquor shops are situated near schools or residential areas.

There are liquor shops near the Siddhartha High School and S. International High School at Chintal. Students and teachers complain about them.

The drinking binges even happen near temples, as in the case of the Lower Tank Bund road.

Though many come to worship the goddess here, people are seen setting up tables and start their drinking sessions. Can?t they go elsewhere?? ask the people around.

MMA Farooqui, deputy commissioner, excise, Hyderabad, said ?Yes, drinking outside the liquor shops is not allowed. The permit room system says that the consumer can buy liquor at the shops.

But they can drink it only in permitted spaces. We will soon conduct raids and take appropriate action.?

Justice A. Laxman Rao of Madhya Niyantrana Udyama Committee said that the maximum accidents and attacks on women are due to alcohol consumption.