Fifteen students interviewed as part of the counselling process at NIIT

NIIT seats are not allotted directly on merit but through an interview process

Hyderabad: Open counselling for admission to NIIT University was conducted on Sunday by a panel from the university. Fifteen students were interviewed as part of the counselling process.

NIIT follows a different method where seats are not allotted directly on merit but through an interview process. Counselling is being held in five cities around the country, including the one in Hyderabad on Sunday. Dr Sunil Khanna, vice president, NIIT University, said, “We look at a range of qualities like aptitude, curiosity, out of box thinking and the like.” Students invited for the counselling need to have a set qualification mark in the IIT-JEE, BITSAT or the NUET.

Another counselling session will be held soon and the academic year will begin in the third week of July.

Dr. Khanna said that NIIT University is one of the few in the country that encourages research at the graduate level adding that 63 students had foregone holidays to work on a research project.

“We always talk to their parents during the counselling. Because parents’ opinion is important in our society,” said R Venkateswar, Regional Director, NIIT University. Another counselling session will also be held soon and the academic year will begin in the third week of July.

Dr. Khanna also says that the NIIT University is one of the very few in the country that encourages research at the graduate level. “We have industry connect with Microsoft, ICICI bank and other companies. Research starts in the third year itself and we encourage participation in various disciplines.

About 63 students have foregone their holidays and are working on a research project,” Dr. Khanna said.