Students want government to ensure affordable healthcare, regulate colleges

Students want a government that will provide affordable healthcare for every citizen

Hyderabad: Students and faculty of the Panineeya Institute of Dental Sciences Hospital and Research Centre want a government that will provide affordable healthcare for every citizen and better regulation of medical colleges.

Speaking to this newspaer, the students spoke about their expectations from the next government and the problems being faced by them.

“We need a centralised admission procedure with just one entrance exam for all colleges. All medical colleges must be affiliated to one board,” said Manish Khazane, a final year student.

Fellow student Aamer Khan wants “more focus on the rural health sector, with people having access to health camps and infrastructure.” And for Shailesh Bhandari, an intern at the hospital, “proper implementation and awareness of health schemes is essential.”

They complained about the laid back attitude of the Medical Council of India and the Dental Council of India, both of which should eradicate non-registered practitioners. “MCI and DCI must comply with the rules and perform the annual checks on fake medical practitioners. Their wrong diagnosis can lead to someone’s death,” said Palak Mehta, a final year student.

They also complained that India’s MBBS and Dentistry degrees are not accepted in other countries. “We have to write a separate exam as they think Indian standards are too low,” said Deepthi Sarvani, an intern.

They were critical of the fact that many drugs that are banned are still in use in the country. “We prescribe antibiotics for every small thing and hence many micro organisms have become multi-drug resistant. The government must stop the sale of medicines without prescriptions,” said Dilip Chakravarthy, a student. They also said that the proper disposal of medical waste is essential.

The faculty of the institution was more concerned with political personalities than issues.

Dr. Srikanth Reddy, reader in public health said, “The AAP is a disappointment. The Delhi drama has proved their potential in politics. Following Kejriwal’s resignation if there is a re-election, it will cost the state '30-40 crore which is a waste of public money. Rahul Gandhi is as immature as Kejiriwal, I prefer the BJP at the Centre.”

Dr Umrana, a professor, is troubled about the BJP’s communal politics and prefers Rahul Gandhi as a leader. “The young Gandhi is not boasting about his achievements like Mr Modi. Mr Rahul is capable of leading without discrimination,” Dr Umrana said.

Dr Dolar Doshi who is from Gujarat is satisfied with development in her home state and thinks Mr Modi will do the same for the country. Dr Shubhakar, faculty member conceded that the Congress was “the final game player in forming Telangana, but does it take a party 10 years to decide on this? Mr Chandrasekhar Rao is one leader who is trying to resolve basic essential issues.”

Dr Karunakar, dean of the institution is sceptical of the alliances that parties are scrambling to form. “How will people benefit from alliances or mergers is the question. We are now governed by a robot. I see Modi as a proven leader.”