New MMC campus to go wi-fi

Soon, medicos at new Madras Medical College (MMC) on the old jail campus can access the Internet.

Chennai: Soon, medicos at new Madras Medical College (MMC) on the old jail campus can access the Internet through wi-fi. Alumnus Dr Subashini Basu Nadesan from Colombo came forward to donate Rs 10 lakh in five instalments for the wi-fi connection.

As many as 120 people gathered at MMC at the alumni meet held recently and on the occasion, Dr Kanagasabai, dean, MMC, said the alumni could come forward to donate for the welfare of present students and patients so as to reduce the burden of the government.

“We are happy for such a facility as we can access the Internet sitting anywhere inside the campus,” said the students. First-year students of MMC moved to the new building on the erstwhile central jail campus last week.

On Monday, the college, together with Dr Sarathchandra Educati­onal Trust, conducted a continuing medical education programme (CME) in the field of surgery. Over 600 medicos from the government and private medical colleges attended the CME programme.

Prof Sarathchandra graduated from Kilpauk Medical College and did his postgraduation in surgery at Stanley Medical College. “After completing his PG, he went to England and completed FRCS in Edinburgh. After returning to Chennai, he joined MMC in the depa­rtment of surgery. He went on to serve for more than three decades,” said Dr Kanagasabai at the inauguration of the CME.

On the same day, MMC also conducted Dr B. Ramamurthy oration. Prof Ramamurthy was the first neurosurgeon to start neurosurgery in the country in 1950. “He was the first doctor to bring neuromedicine, neurosurgery, neuropathology and neurochemistry und­er one roof,” the dean said.