Anyonyam to light up today | Deccan Chronicle
Tuesday, Oct 21, 2014 | Last Update : 12:45 PM IST
Prayers
Prayers

Hijri Calendar
Zilhaj 25,1435 AH

Prayers
Fajar: 5.10 am
Zohar: 12.11 pm
Asar: 4.14 pm
Maghrib: 5.57 pm
Isha: 7.06 pm
Sunset today 5.51 pm
sunrise tomorrow 6.11 am
Moonrise tomorrow 3.51 am
Moonset today 4.11 pm

You are here

Anyonyam to light up today

DC | November 02, 2013, 11.11 am IST
Students perform Saraswatha Yakjnam at Nandana Sakneyam Yakjna Shala here on Friday.                    -DC
Students perform Saraswatha Yakjnam at Nandana Sakneyam Yakjna Shala here on Friday. -DC

Thrissur: The Kadavallur Anyonyam will begin on November 2 and will be on for nine days. Contests in  chanting the Rig Veda commenced at the Kadavallur Sree Rama Temple, near here, on Friday.

The yagnam got underway when the lamp was lit by the Yagnacharyan, the head of the Yagnam, Akkittam Achuthan Namboothiri and Kanippayyur Krishnan Namboothiripad, at a specially-built 'pandal' on the temple premises at Kadavallur.

The ritual began with the Saraswatha Yajnam which was performed by more than 5,000 students.

The yagnam is being organised for the wellbeing of the universe and to protect the Vedas by performing Pranayamam, Homacharanam and Ganapati Homam. All these will be performed by the students. 

The students were given formal training in the principles of Rig Veda Samhitha (text). And they had to practise  ‘Padavibhajanam’ and ‘Prayogam.’

The Anyonyam represents the meeting of two major Rig Veda practitioners - groups based in Thirunavaya Math and Brahmaswom Math, which were once patronised by the Zamorin and Cochin kings respectively.

Kadavallur Anyonyam used to be held regularly till 1947 which was later centred at Chowannur Sabhaamadhom. After a gap, it was revived at the Kadavallur temple itself. It is held regularly now.

Also Read

Write a comment
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.